THis is the fisrt of the new batch of book on malaysia this year .and this book is the reason for buying it .
Here is some background on how I decided to buy this book and also look after for more related. earlier this year desperate in adding some stories (tales myths etc ) for my daughter i also googled for Malaysian tales across the intenet (say: googling ). But as googling just 'Malaysian tales' yielded only a few lemmas . And also the book 365 folk tales from Malaysia .AS i could not find something more i decided to buy this book . After 2 emails to Utusan the producer i have not received any reply from them . After chatting with a malaysian frind in facebook he suggested me several online bookstores.
The book together 3 other books books has been very properly received here in 4 weeks after dispatching . Cost of the book is standard of RM 50 (as noticed on the rear of the book )or 11 Eu plus 4.5 Eu shipping. I think that this price is quite cheap for such as book considering that is 300 pages A4 size with coloured in tho most of the book with many illustrations !
Now back to the book as it has too much interest :
-Its size is A4 with ca 320 pages wiih plastic front & rear page
There are about 378 stotuies in the book , one for each day
The design is as follows :
-A listing of the stories each month including the region , inside a nice frame
- a bonus story for every month - this is 2 pages with a nice illustration (the man eating story ie batu belah is shown here )
- One story each day . 3- 4 stories in the two page format and depending on the size of the story
- glossary on the end of each month with some english terms explained
For me this book is very simple though I found some unowwn lemmas to me Here is an example on how i did: (with the hope that this small excerpt does not have any c'l'opyright violations as we call it in Greece clopi means steal )
In order to do the translation work faster i used my tablet as translator instead of using two dictionaries (Malay and Greek ) . I have previously installed both these dictionaries in the google translator for offline use. AS yo see below in the picture here is also a mirror .This mirror reflects the solar rays back to the book so hat the shadow caused by my hand is illuminated . a pen of 0.3 mm is usd for writing above te unknown words.
It was the first book of reading immediately after receiving the bundle . Meanwhile there are some others (that will be reviewed later ) that made made me temporarily stop reading it but aftert checking them i returned reading it under a different aspect as it will be shown late in this article .
I made several interesting statistical data on this book:
1. There are some stores that seem nearly identical . I found one or two with 2-3 vesions
2. Ther are nearly direct or indirect vesions of Grimm's Aesop's and Hodja's tales. These are the stries: mawar merah (the known versio of cinderela G ), the geesekeeper (G), the jugde (H), Fox & Hen (E), 7 goats (G), rapunzel - this is just a vesio of version (G), Clever wife (G), Wind and sun (A thought is story is rather fake ), Liar shepherd (A), golden axe (?), and & cricket
3. Some of the stories as for eg man eating stone seem somehow different fro what i already knew from internet search
4. There are many tales with direct or indirect magic. We dont like to tell stories top our daughter . For this reason in my second reading session i tried first to filter out these stories by marking them out .
As in result i have stamped with short comments over the book which storie are :
1.passing ie clear from magic a total of ca 230 stories
2. so so stories abt 30
3 negative or magic stories abt 50
4 not to rate stories , remain
also theer was another 'tagging' as :
1 . intelligent stories abt 45
2. animal stories ca 55 with 2-3 not passing the filter
3. funny stories only 10?? tis includes pak pandir the 'well known' stupiid of malaysia !
notice : although Siti as i call my daughter has watched nearly magic series from her only 2 and also from the TV there is Nick and ben ten are also aired , we try to get rid of them (i removed Nick from the TV channel list )
In this huge story list i have found the well knonw stories of Santubong , Si Tangang , Putih & merah , batu belah
........but i have not fond these: Ulik Mayang , Raja bersiong (there is a illustrated book version ), MAhsuri, GUnung ledang , Si pelawak [the man who fought the dragon without fighting him! ], Mayang sari ,Hang Nadim (the swordfish attack ), Hang Lipoh as examples !! (and many stories with the mouse-deer missing )
This book can be previewed here in google books : (many pages deliberately missing)
I like this idea Malaysians do . You can test the book before you buy . I found also many other Malaysian books this way
MY verdict : Although the book is nearly perfect as a huge repository of Malaysian stories it lacks of some important legends or tales . MY daughter has a special interest in this book as it is designed with nice colors . i use it in parallel with ancient greek stories .
Feel writing your comments here !